I – Identificación
* Art. 1 – La Asociación Latinoamericana para el Estudio del Hígado (ALEH) es una Asociación Civil de carácter científico sin fines de lucro, fundada en la ciudad de Sao Pablo, Brasil, en el año 1968, constituida por las Asociaciones Nacionales de Hepatología(o sus equivalentes señalados en el Art. 8), de los países del área geográfica Latinoamericana y del Caribe
II – Administration and Executive office
* Article 2 – The executive office of the ALEH will be established in Santiago, Chile, by agreement of the Assembly held on November 9, 2014 during the AASLD Congress in Boston (USA) and ratified at the Pacific Summit South Summit held in Viña del Mar (Chile) on 9 July 2015.
The obligations of the executive office shall be:
1. Have an updated list of ALEH members.
2. To collect the corporate dues.
3. Establish an operating budget.
4. Report on the quarterly financial state to the current and biannual president at the Assemblies of Delegates at the respective ALEH Congress.
5. Without compromising its operation, it will provide the funds that it possesses for the activities of ALEH according to what the President-in-Office dispose.
6. Keep the website and ALEH Bulletin active and updated.
7. Maintain close contact with its members and the delegates of the national hepatology societies by all means available (direct contact, web page, email, regular written and telephone mail).
III – Mission, Vision and Objectives
* Art. 3 – Mission: ALEH is a Scientific Society, whose primary objective is to promote and disseminate Hepatology in Latin America, through a fluid exchange with specialists in the area, local and international institutions and the community in general.
* Art. 4 – Vision: to achieve through its different academic activities and dissemination, a position of solid leadership in the specialty at local, Latin American and international level.
* Article 5 – Objectives:
1. Link the professionals of the Societies, Associations, Sections, Chapters and Clubs of Hepatology of the different member countries to each other and serve the link with other International Associations of Hepatology.
2. To estimulate the development of research and teaching in the field of hepatology and related areas in member countries.
3. Contribute to continuous medical education, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of hepatobiliary diseases in the region.
4. Contribute to the education and dissemination of knowledge of hepatobiliary diseases within the general population of the region.
IV – Of its Integration
* Art. 6 – All countries of Latin America and the Caribbean may be integrated into ALEH.
* Art. 7 – In order to join the ALEH, the Association, Society, Section or Club of Hepatology of each country will make a formal request to the Board of Directors that includes the roster of its members and will appoint a delegate, who will correspond to the President Of the respective organization. Under exceptional and transitory conditions, it may be represented by another designated member.
* Art. 8 – In Countries where there are no Hepatology Organizations, it will relate to the Societies or Associations of Gastroenterology or its sections of Hepatology.
* Art. 9 – The functions of the Delegate of each Country will be:
* Promote and disseminate the functioning of ALEH in his country.
* Propose the appointment of new members according to the corresponding regulations.
* Arbitrate the necessary means to implement the payment of corporate dues.
V – Of the governing bodies
* Art. 10 – ALEH’s governing bodies are: The Board of Directors, the Advisory Commission, the Permanent Council and the Assembly.
* Art. 11 – The Board of Directors shall consist of the President, the First Vice-President, the Second Vice-President, the General Secretary/ Treasurer, the Assistant Secretary / Publications Officer, the Past President and the Executive Director.
* Art. 12 – The President is the executive of the Board of Directors, having to decide in consultation with the other members when he deems it necessary, especially with regard to the progress of the Association, in accordance with the provisions of the statute. He shall inform the Assembly accordingly. The members of the Board of Directors shall have a voice and vote in the Assembly.
* Art. 13 – The Advisory Commission will be composed of the Former Presidents of ALEH. Their role will be to advise the Board of Directors when required. Its members shall have the right to speak but not to vote in the Assembly.
* Article 14 – The Permanent Council will initially consist of 10 members representing at least 6 countries, proposed by the Board of Directors and ratified by the respective Assembly. They will have an initial duration of 4 years in the position and will have specific missions: Education (Courses and Congresses), Research, International Relations, Official Magazine, Publications and Clinical Guides. Its renovation will be done in a partial way, to ensure its continuity.
* Art. 15 – The Assembly shall be composed of the members of the Board of Directors and the official Delegates of the National Associations, who shall have the right to speak and vote. In addition, members of the Permanent Council, the Ex – Presidents, and the President and Secretary General of the current Congress may attend, as appropriate. All the latter shall have the right to speak, but not to vote.
* Art. 16 – The Assembly shall meet in ordinary form every two years during the corresponding Congress and whenever the Board considers it necessary, and shall be constituted with the number of Delegates that it attends. Each Country will have a Delegate with voice and vote. The President and Secretary of the Assembly shall be the President and the Secretary of the Board of Directors acting. If there is a tie in the votes of the Assembly, it shall be settled by the President-in-Office. The agenda of the Assembly should be sent to the Delegates by email at least 30 days before its implementation.
* Art. 17 – The Assembly may be convened in extraordinary form when called by the Board of Directors and attend a number of at least 8 Delegates. The agenda of the Extraordinary Assembly should be forwarded to each Delegate in advance.
* Art. 18 – The Assembly constitutes the supreme organ of the Association, in which all problems and issues of the Association shall be known and resolved, and shall include in its agenda:
1. The report of the activities of the outgoing Board of Directors (When applicable)
2. The financial report of the change of directive to be submitted by the Secretary General in his capacity as treasurer (when applicable)
3. The election of new members of the Board of Directors and of the Permanent Council (when applicable)
4. Set the amount of the partnership fee of the Associations and individual members.
5. Any other matters relevant to the operation of the Association. When there is more than one candidate for the election of the members of the Board, it will be done in a secret manner.
* Art. 19 – The Executive Director corresponds to the Director (a) of the Administrative Company of the Association.
VI – Renewal of authorities
* Art. 20 – The President will last two years in his functions. He can not be re-elected for the next period.
* Art. 21 – The Presidency will be assumed automatically by the First Vice-President and so on.
* Art. 22 – The Vice Presidents will last four years in office. The Vice-President who does not assume the Presidency will be automatically re-elected for two more years, corresponding to assume the Presidency in the following period.
* Art. 23 – The election of the Second Vice-President shall be made at the Ordinary General Assembly at each ALEH Congress, by secret ballot of the members of the same if there were more than one candidate.
* Art. 24 – The candidates for the Vice Presidency will be proposed by the national organizations of each region. The proposal must be accompanied by a short curriculum vitae of the candidates and sent to the Board
Directive at least 1 month in advance of the Assembly date.
* Art. 25 – The newly elected President shall himself appoint the Secretary General and the Assistant Secretary.
* Art. 26 – In case of resignation of the Vice-presidents, they will be chosen in their replacements in the occasion of the first renewal of authorities to be made. The first option will be given to the candidate who proposes the Country to which the resigning Vice President belonged.
* Art. 27 – In case of resignation of the General Secretary, the acting President will proceed to his successor.
VII – Of the members
* Art. 28 – The new members of each country will be approved by ALEH’s official subsidiary organization, whose Delegate will submit the corresponding applications to the Board of Directors. The Board will analyze the applications and give its approval. Apart from entering the ALEH through the corresponding national organization, it can be entered directly through the Permanent Secretariat. You can also apply individually through the website.
* Article 29 – The obligations of Members are:
Attend corporate meetings.
As much as possible, contribute the results of their research work in these events.
Contribute the annual fee set by the Assembly.
* Art. 30 – Will be considered Honorary Members of ALEH:
Former Presidents and Former Secretaries of ALEH.
Professionals inside and outside Latin America for extraordinary merits or for having provided extensive support and assistance to ALEH; For this purpose, must be submitted in writing to the Governing Board with an explanatory statement and will be considered at the ordinary meeting where they may be accepted by a majority of votes.
The Honorary Members will receive a diploma that accredits them as such and will be released from the payment of the corporate fee.
VIII – Of the corporate fees
* Art. 31 – The payment of the annual fee must be made by each member directly to the administrative secretariat of the ALEH or through its respective national Association. Failure to pay for a period of more than two years will be sufficient cause for loosing the membership of ALEH. For re-entry the member must pay the dues owed that caused the loss.
* Art. 32 – The amount of the annual quota may be discussed and decided for the next biennium in each ordinary Assembly, starting at US $ 500 for each Country / Association belonging to the same and US $ 50 for each individual Member.
* Art. 33 – In order to have a vote in the General Assembly, to nominate candidates for the Board of Directors, or to hold ALEH events in their country, the local Associations must be up to date with the corporate fee.
IX – Of the finances
* Art. 34 – ALEH, although it is a non-profit civil association, can receive contributions from its members, obtain funds, contributions and donations from its activities. All the economic benefits received, which will be part of the assets of the Association, may be used only for its operation and activities related to its objectives.
* Art. 35 – To facilitate this, the Latin American Foundation for the Study of the Liver-ALEH will be created, which will have its permanent address in Santiago de Chile, and whose membership will be attended by members of the current board and others appointed by the Assembly. This Foundation shall be governed by its own regulations duly known at the time of its creation, and by the Regulations of the Civil Code and other applicable provisions in Chile.
* Art. 36 – The General Secretary shall exercise the functions of Treasurer. It shall keep the accounts of the Association and submit a detailed balance sheet at the biannual Ordinary Assembly. The funds of the Association shall be transferred to the new Secretary General upon change of Directives and in no case more than two months after the end of the corresponding period.
X – Of the meetings
* Art. 37 – The ALEH will hold a Congress every two years, being the seat corresponding to the country of the President in Exercise, proposed and approved by the Assembly.
* Art. 38 – The organization and financing of these Congresses or other Scientific Conferences, will be the total responsibility of the Host Country. All net economic benefits derived from events and collections will be used in the exercise of the Association.
* Art. 39 – The Governing Board, in agreement with the Organizing Committee of the Conferences, will determine the themes of the Conference and name a Scientific Committee that will accept or not to accept free papers and select those that have to be presented orally or on posters.
* Art. 40 – The ALEH through its Governng Board will promote the organization of other scientific and educational events, regional or international, that promote the progression of Hepatology in Latin American countries
XI – Of the diffusion
*Art. 41 – ALEH will maintain a web page (www.alehlatam.org), which will be the official body and must be kept up to date.
*Art. 42 – ALEH will have a permanent Newsletter that will be sent regularly to all the partners and that also must be linked to the web page. Its contents must be updated every 3 months.
*Art. 43 – ALEH will have a scientific magazine of international circulation like official magazine, maintaining the Annals of Hepatology. It is advisable that there is permanent representation of senior executives and / or members of ALEH in the Editorial Committee of this magazine. It is also expected to be able to participate in the definition of the editorial line and generation of its guidelines.
XII – The modification of the Statute
* Art. 44 – The amendment of this Statute may only be carried out by the approval of more than two thirds of the Members of the Assembly, provided that such reforms are communicated in writing to the Delegates of the Member Countries at least 2 months in advance .